Thursday, September 18, 2008

Wash and care for your headbands and hair clips!


So, i have had some of Brielle's hair clips for over 2 years now and things do get dingy so, i thought I'd pass my secrets to you on how to keep your clips and headband looking the BEST EVER!


Hair Clips/ Flowers:
I use a pin head size of dish detergent a wet wipe and some water and i wipe down my big flowers and little flowers when needed. I also use a toothbrush to scrub out dried on food( which does happen with babies) I let them air dry in a warm( not hot) spot. 
I have also used a small garment bag and put my flowers and bows in  that and ran it through the wash( COLD) with my kids clothes. I removed them and let them air dry. I even put ones that have rhinestone centers in there. It's up to you.

When my petals are starting to fray a bit, i take my tiny scissors and snip the edges and give them a trim. Then I take a lighter and swipe the edges through the flame( this can be tricky:)
That seals ribbon and fabric edges very well. If you don't trust yourself don't do it. Just use the scissors. 
I have used a product called FRAY CHECK on the edges( available almost any where craft stuff is sold) but it can show up on darker colored ribbon or flowers. I works great though!

Headbands:
Sometimes my daughter takes hers off an plays with it in the car seat. She has even pulled strands out of it a few times. I just pull it evenly with my hands on the inside then i take tweezers or use my fngers an make the loops even again. It's that easy. 
If you have fray issues( not really that common) Take a Lighter to the edges very quickly and that will stop the fraying. Don't use fray check on these. It doesn't work that well on this fabric, i've found.
You can wash these in a garment bag in the washer when needed or by hand as instructed above. either way, don't put them in with your clips. That's just silly as the clips have stuff the strands can catch on. 
I hope that helps. look this up when you need it!
~Corrine

0 comments: